Races

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Plan B

I didn't have the greatest week training last week. It's the end of the semester and so lots of grading, meetings, and so forth, and then my folks flew in from the Europe to visit us. My mum had a nasty fall which meant a trip to the hospital - so all in all a busy week. Added to that Raf has a new trick of waking up in the night and staying awake, chatting and kissing and hugging mama, which makes for a tired mama who sleeps through her workout time. On Sunday, as I lamented my poor week training, I promised myself that I'd do much better this upcoming week. I planned to both swim and bike on Monday so as to get the week off to a good start.

Well, Sunday night Raf woke up at 1:30am and he was still up and chatting at 3:30am!! Rich took him into the nursery at that point for 45 minutes and I managed to sneak in 45 minutes of sleep. Alas, the boy came back and he was still awake!!! He fell asleep at 5:30, at which point I got up, but much too tired to do anything. I graded papers, made breakfasts, and then around 10am I thought, what the heck, my parents are here, I'll head to the pool and get in that swim.

It was wonderful. Raf was completely fine, he barely missed me, and I got some time on my own - away from everyone and everything. 2000 yards later I was feeling reinvigorated. What's more, it inspired me to get my bike in - just a 50 min spin - when Raf was in bed.

Fitting in training requires a lot of imagination and flexibility. So often I miss my 'chance' and write off the workout because it seems too hard to get it in later on. I'm really going to start challenging myself more regularly to be more adaptable. Early mornings are for sure my preference, but early mornings clearly aren't always possible.

This morning, though pretty tired, I was on the bike by 6am - and it felt so great to get my planned session in early. Tomorrow I have a swim and a row planned, but I also have MANY other things planned.... so I'm thinking of ways to get it in. I'd love to hear how others manage their schedules. How do you all do it?!

No comments:

Post a Comment